Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act
The Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act was enacted by Congress and signed by President Bush on Dec. 19, 2007. Designed to prevent the tragic and hidden hazard of suction entrapment and evisceration in pools and spas, the law became effective on Dec. 19, 2008.
The VGB Act, which currently governs commercial (public) pools, spas and waterparks, pertains to two issues: 1. The manufacture, import, and sale of suction outlet fittings (drain fittings and covers) and 2. Entrapment avoidance systems in public pools and spas.
The VGB Act requires the following: 1. On or after 12.19.2008, all suction outlet fittings and covers made, imported or sold in the United States must be certified to comply with ASME/ANSI A 112.19.8, 2007 version. 2. As of 12.19.2008, all public pools and spas, both new and existing, be equipped with certified covers on every suction outlet. 3. As of 12.19.2008, every public pool and spa, new and existing, that has a single outlet, other than an unblockable outlet, must employ one or more of the following additional options:
- Safety vacuum release system (SVRS) that complies with ANSI/ASME A112.19.17 or ASTM F2387; or
- Suction limiting vent system; or
- Gravity drainage system; or
- Automatic pump shut-off; or
- Drain disablement; or
- Equivalent system that may be approved by the CPSC.
The VGB Act was named after the daughter of Nancy and James Baker and the granddaughter of former Secretary of State James Baker III. Graeme Baker died in a tragic incident in June 2002 when the suction from a residential spa drain entrapped her under the water. This Act was first introduced by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (FL) and was supported by the Baker family and Safe Kids Worldwide.
- The Price of History — Pool & Spa News — 10.15.2009
- Below the Surface — Pool & Spa News — 6.26.2009
- VGB Act’s Author Wants Nationally Funded Swim Lessons — Aquatics International — April 2009
- Season of Change — Pool & Spa News — 3.27.2006
- Aquatics International VGB Compliance
- Pool & Spa News VGB Resource Center
- VGB Act Information from CPSC
- VGB Links Page